Monday, September 6, 2010

Crisp New Start!

I hope to blog at least once a week. Here goes...

The end of summer has come. I always associate the end of summer with Labor Day weekend. My roommates still believe in not wearing white after...whatever.

I had a great summer. Got a job, graduated, chilled out, saw Vietnam, whirlwind move to NYC, started my job. My summer in NYC has been filled with Central Park, running, Amazon.com, buying furniture, a fascination with food blogs and baking.

It's funny. I've become more of a homebody/Suzy homemaker now that I have my "own" place. Being in NYC is fun but it hasn't been all the scene and be seen that I thought it would be. I've just come to a compromise that I'm going to be here for a while and so I have a lot of time to check out all the cool places and shops such as Momofuku's Milk Bar or Cafeteria. Oh...and I need the funds to be able to afford these things. Of course I would have more funds for these things if I wasn't so intent on building a storage of ingredients and arsenal of cooking utensils.

On to the pictures as we all know I'm a visual person.
Chris and I had my belated birthday dinner at Vesta in Astoria. It's a very small, intimate wine bar and trattoria. They have wine on tap (I got a crisp, refreshing riesling) and PEI mussels in the most DIVINE sauce. I had the most amazing thin crust, huge personal pan pizza that was topped with pancetta, arugula, apples, potatoes, carmelized onions and goat cheese. And the rest of their food is all about the local CSA. Love it love it love it. And for dessert we had a delectable house specialty: baby jesus cake. Some divine concoction that was a date cake with a caramel sauce accompanied with light, freshly-whipped cream.

Pics of the past week:
Jackie made a tres leches cake. Her first time!

My bruise from a memorable night. I took this picture today, this is after a week of healing.
Found my food processor on the 29th floor of my building. I work 16 floors from that. And I'm obsessed with making banana soft serve which is simply frozen banana!
A guy from my team who also eats healthy told me about this cereal or muesli. I love it and eat a serving with my yogurt every work morning! It's from the UK, like him.
Friday night dinner to start off the long weekend. Mad Men, wine, seared salmon. Lovely.
I got this in memory of a time at a wine bar I had with my friends. I drank the whole bottle...in one sitting.
Maybe ya'll will get a post tomorrow. I have nothing planned!

1 comment: